episcopal church of hakodate, hakodate
The Hakodate Episcopal Church belongs to the Episcopal church of Japan. A missionary W. Denning of the Anglican Church Missionary Society, first came to Hakodate to preach the gospel in 1874 and established a base here.
In 1878 the first sanctuary was built in Suehiro-cho. After many fires. it was rebuilt here in 1921.
During that time the church took an active part in education (starting an Ainu School and the Seiwa Girl's School etc)in medical service and other works of charity.
The present building was completed in 1979 and 1001's like a cross from above. This is a modem design influenced by the architecture of Medieval European Churches.
|Model||Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT||Width||3456|
|Height||2304||Flash||Off, Did not fire|
|White Bal.||Auto||Program||Aperture-priority AE|
|Altitude||0 m||File Size||681 kB|