the roman catholic church, hakodate
In 1859 the first temporary Catholic Chapel was founded by French Missionary Mermet De Cachon. Priest of Paris foreign missions society. It was the beginning Of such work in Japan after the deporation order of Christians by the Tokugawa Government. This church is as historical as the Yamate Church in Yokohama and the Oura Church in Nagasaki.
In 1868 priest Mounicou and Priest Ambruster built a temporary church at the present site. and in 1877 tile first wooden church was built by Priest Marin. However, was destroyed by fires three times. The Present Church was built In 1924.
This church. in a Gothic architectural style is fire proof But the Aitar and the fourteen sculpture stations of tile Cross showing scenes on each, along the wails on both sides. are tilolean wood carvings. They are of historical value because they were presented by Pope Benedict XV.
|Model||Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT||Width||3456|
|Height||2304||Flash||Off, Did not fire|
|White Bal.||Auto||Program||Aperture-priority AE|
|Altitude||0 m||File Size||670 kB|